Peonia murder still investigated

-A A +A

Family offers $25,000 reward

By DeAnna Lasley

The brutal slaying of Eva Frances Grant on Aug. 16, 1978, shook the Peonia community to the core.
While many remembered "Aunt Evie" as a soft-spoken woman in her 80s who rarely wore anything but a dress and apron with her hair knotted at her nape, her family will never be able to forget the blood-washed walls, floor and chair that Grant sat in after having being beaten in the head and mouth that quiet Monday.
"Somebody else knows (who murdered Grant)," said Grant's daughter, Evangeline Lush . "There are two people here (in Grayson County) know who did it."
The case has been under investigation for years and recently was placed on Kentucky State Police's website under the Cold Case page. The family, which has dwindled from nine children to only two living, is looking for closure to the case. A reward is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer, said Grant's grandson Kevin Lush.
Grant's daughter, now 54, wants justice for her family.
"The rest have gone to their grave not knowing," she said.
"I want (the murderer) punished. I don't care if he never sees the light of day again," she said. "Not another murder - not death."
Grant was discovered by the milkman on a Monday morning. Grant had gotten up that morning and was fine. She raised the blinds facing her neighbor's Dory Stinson's home to indicate to her that everything was okay that morning.
When the milkman arrived, the door to the home was opened a crack which was unusual because Grant kept the door locked. Lush said the milkman looked in but didn't go in. He went to the store at the corner of St. Anthony and Peonia roads to call for help. Carlos Grant was working at the store and returned to the home with police.
"Every police car in Grayson County was there," Lush said.
Grant was discovered sitting in her upholstered rocking chair. She was looking at a church photo album. She had been struck on the back of the head. Officers decided the first strike was likely the deadly one but the woman was abused more with blows to her head and mouth. Her dentures were knocked out and broken during the assault. When the funeral home worked on Grant, the family required that the casket was open.
"I wanted everybody in the whole world to know what had happened to her," Lush said. "I hoped maybe . . ."
Lush hoped the killer would be conscientious enough to come forward.
The family believes whomever was in the house that morning possibly was looking for money. Usually, Grant had only $50 in her home but the day before was nearly a reunion for the family because her daughter Adell (O.B.) Lloyd was visiting from Oklahoma. Lots of family and friends were in and out of the home that Sunday.
But after Grant was discovered on Monday and after police had searched the premises, Kevin Lush discovered his grandmother's purse slid under the bed. He was sitting in a split bottom chair in the living room when he noticed the purse. The dust under the bed had been scraped back by the purse.
The family has believed one person was responsible for the slaying. They believe the person was under age at the time of the murder and left the county before or after turning 18.
Kentucky State Police Detective Lt. Ezra Stout is continuing the investigation into Grant's murder. Anyone with information about the slaying can contact him at 270-766-5078.