Kidnapping suspect arrested in Leitchfield

-A A +A
By Rebecca Morris

A man suspected of kidnapping a woman and demanding a ransom from her parents in Tennessee was arrested last week in Leitchfield.
FBI agents took Bryan D. Conley, 37, into custody the evening of Jan. 30 at the Marathon service station on South Main Street near the Western Kentucky Parkway.
He remained in the Grayson County Detention Center Tuesday afternoon, being held without bail on federal charges of threatening interstate communication.
On Jan. 29, the Brentwood, Tenn., police department was contacted by a woman who claimed her adult daughter had been kidnapped.
A man, who federal authorities believe was Conley, was using the daughter’s phone to text the woman to demand a $20,000 ransom for her daughter’s safe return.
The kidnapper told the mother to begin driving toward Toledo, Ohio, where she would receive further instructions by phone. He also threatened to “sell, rape and kill” the daughter if the mother didn’t comply with his demands, according to federal authorities.
Around 10 p.m. that night the mother was sent a “proof of life” photo of her daughter inside a vehicle with binding around her mouth.
From the photo, the FBI was able to determine she was in a Ford Taurus SE from the 2013 to 2018 model years.
The ransom demand eventually was negotiated down to $400 and some jewelry, and it was agreed the woman’s father would start heading toward Toledo to drop it off.
That morning, someone had tried to access the woman’s bank account but was unable to answer the security questions. Authorities soon traced the phone number associated with that attempt to Conley’s wife in Clarksville, Tenn., and determined a 2014 Ford Taurus was registered in her name. They later determined the phone had been close to the alleged kidnapping victim’s phone later that morning when it was used to access her bank account.
The afternoon of Jan. 30, Conley allegedly texted the family the threat “one more lie she’s dead” while FBI agents were with them. They were able to trace the cell phone’s location to the Hopkinsville, Ky., area.
The ranson was dropped behind a dumpster at a truck stop in Oak Grove, Ky., that afternoon. Around 5 p.m., FBI agents saw a man, whom they later identified as Conley, retrieve the ransom payment and leave in a Ford Taurus. They followed him to the gas station in Leitchfield, where he was taken into custody by FBI agents assisted by Leitchfield police officers and members of the Greater Hardin County Narcotics Task Force.
The woman, and her cell phone, where found in the car, federal authorities said. They said the woman, who since has been reunited with her family, was found “safe,” but wouldn’t specify if she had been injured.